War memorial details
Bank: National Provincial & Union Bank of England
War: First World War
Original location: Maidstone branch
Current location: NatWest Maidstone branch
This memorial is dedicated to the men of Kentish Bank, which had been established in Maidstone in 1818 as Wigan, Mercers, Tasker & Co. In 1903 it became part of Union of London & Smiths Bank, which itself merged with National Provincial Bank of England in 1918, making Maidstone branch an office of National Provincial & Union Bank of England. This memorial is a recognition that, despite these changes, the branch's staff retained a sense of themselves as 'staff of the Kentish Bank'.
The undermentioned members of the staff of the Kentish Bank made the supreme sacrifice